Saturday, November 11, 2006

Oi Oi Oi


My prayer and Ambien chaser worked, and I landed in Sydney. What happened next was just plain sad and avoidable... a comedy of errors... I was planning on catching a domestic flight up to the sunshine coast.. and had over 2 hours to make the connection. Sounded easy enough. No. Had to line up at the overzealus custom and immigration quaranteen section due to macadamia nuts I had won on the "halfway to Hawaii" game. Thanks alot beagle with a job. Tic toc. Out of customs, I follow the wrong signs, get a bit turned around.. (remnants of the Ambien cocktail to blame? perhaps?) By the time I get the information that I need to take an inter-terminal bus, I realize I am going to have to move it..

So I get to the bus. $5 AUS charge. Excuse me? I thought these things were universaly free! In my wallet I have $7 USD, and about 13 receipts from Starbucks around the world.. so, blood pressure rising, I look for an ATM machine. "OUT OF ORDER". Of course, why not... off to currency exchange booth to exchange my $7.

The next bus came 15 minutes later, and long story short, I get to the check in desk at jet star with 28 minutes before the flight. 30 minute cut off for checked bags. Too tired to cry. I would be missing the Canada/ Aussie Olympics planned by my friend's dad that day. So off to Sydney for lunch with a friend on layover there, and back to the airport 4 hours later. By the time I got to Noosa I had been traveling for about 24 hours. I had 45 minutes to get ready for the bachelorette party. I was the perfect attendee... drunk on one champagne, and speaking a strange dialect.. but I had made it...

To be continued...